Loukoumades, Greek Classic Desert!
Loukoumades (pronounced loo-koo-mah-thes) ,are the Greeks’ answer to donuts
«For those of you not familiar with loukoumades, they are the most heavenly fried donuts; served warm, drizzled with honey syrup and cinnamon, sometimes sprinkled with walnuts or toasted sesame. They are served throughout Greece, where the history of this donut can be traced back to the first Olympic Games in 776 BC. In the original Olympic Games the Greeks honored the Gods and the victors’ prize came in an edible form of «honey tokens,» golden fried balls of dough, covered in honey.» Post by Marisa Churchill
- FOR THE MIXTURE
- 1 kg all-purpose flour
- 2 packets active dry yeast
- 2 glasses of warm water
- 1/2 tea spoon salt
- 1 tea spoon sugar
- FOR COOKING
- Approx 500 ml corn oil – for deep frying
- FOR SERVING
- Cinnamon to taste
- Greek Honey to taste
- In a large glass dissolve the yeast in the tepid water, along with the salt and the sugar .
- Use a large bowl, add in the flour and the dissolved yeast and mix with your hands, until the mixture become thick and foamy (a texture similar to that of a milkshake)
- Cover the bowl and let the mixture rest in a warm place for at least 1 hour where it will rise.
- Put the 500 ml oil in a deep pan and heat. Make sure that the oil takes over only half of the pan’s depth.
- Turn the mixture in the bowl a few times with your hands.
- Take a handful of dough and, with your hand in a fist, squeeze until the dough comes out as a ball between your thumb and index finger. Using a tablespoon which you have dipped in a glass of cold water, scoop this ball and place in the deep pan to fry. Repeat this several times depending on the size of your pan but remember NOT to crowd the pan.
- Loukoumades will puff up and float to the surface. You then should turn them occasionally, until batter is a crisp, golden brown on all sides which takes about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Remove carefully with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Repeat as many times as is needed.
- Place drained puffs on warm platter and keep warm.
- To serve individual portions, place 4 or 5 loukoumades on a plate drizzle honey over and dust generously with cinnamonp.
Summer 2016 is loading and this is your chance to enjoy hands-on Greek cooking classes in Greece, with Stella the most trusted gastronomic specialist on the island, while staying in Margarita Studios, an elegance boutique style hotel n the heart of Cyclades ,next of the cosmopolitan Naoussa of Paros, in Ambelas.
Cook in our well equipped kitchen with guests from all over the world. You will enjoy the meals you created together with your fellow cooks complimented with superb wine of Paros.
There is plenty of time to explore the area or just relax and enjoy your home away from home in a spectacular setting with new friends
Join us for one, two, or three fun mornings or evenings in the kitchen for a hands-on Greek cooking class concentrating on the foods and wines of this beautiful island.
Join us in the kitchen and see, smell & taste the real Greece with us!
Learn how to make your favourite Greek dish , like moussaka, stuffed tomatoes, dolmadakia or Rosemary/garlic/lemon roasted lamb or pork ,
fried zucchinis balls, tomato balls, tzatziki or spanakopita & baklava .
Get the Parian recipes, enjoy specialties with wine of Paros and impress your friends at home. It will make your vacation unforgettable!